Thursday, January 17, 2008

HOLA HOLA THERE'S NO COLA

Holy blog. I took a chance and set up our blog. blows my mind. I need to see if I can import some pics to this thing so it looks like something other than a letter.
We hosted our annual "White Elephant" gift exchange again this year the week after Christmas. In attendance were Pris and I, Jen and Roger, Aaron and Rachael, Becky, Zachary and Alana.
Last year, Aaron escaped with my gift, which was to grant a wish - no matter what it was. He never cashed it in - and said this year he didn't think he got in under the time deadline. Truth was, he was too intimidated to ask me. I told him to let it out and he stuttered and stammered and then finally said: "My wish was that you would stop drinking any form of cola, particularly diet-coke."
A hush came over the room as everyone kind of held their breath to see what my reaction would be. They all knew that a daily coke was one of life's pleasures for me.
(Inside I was trying to figure a way out of this commitment when I realized that once you commit there is no way out other than to keep your word)
So, I nodded yes.
I think things rushed onward at that point, with everyone relieved to get beyond that potential hiccup to the evening.

I am proud to report: HOLA HOLA THERE'S NO COLA

From that moment on there has been no cola pass my lips. I still have a moderate, left over supply for anyone that wants to come in the middle of the night and take it for themselves. I am on to ginger ale and occasionally a Barq's root beer. Not even neer as satisfying in the belly, but feels good in my heart.

On a side note - I've been a bachelor since Saturday past and get to pick up my main squeeze at the airport today around 5:15. It will be good to have my eternal scrabble partner again.

3 comments:

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

Hooray for Israel!!! Good to have you on board dad. Love you. Becky

Ben Hutchins said...

Love it! I had no idea... but I did find it stragely interesting that no cola made its way into my fridge while you were here and that you had rootbear at Costco. Never added up... Congrats! And great job with the blog.

Ben